Compact 7

May 19, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Hi,

Nice to see Windows Embedded Compact 7 coming to Gumstix Overo. I have several questions:

1. Will it be free for usage or there will be some fees? e.g. I already own  Windows Embedded Compact 7 DVDs (never looked yet into them).

2. Will I be able to customize Compact 7 OS builds (add my own software and settings)?

Thanks,

David

Coordinator
May 19, 2011 at 4:07 PM
Edited May 19, 2011 at 4:36 PM

The only completely build images I can legally, publicly publish are demo only images.

You can build your own images with the BSP source code adding or removing any component you wish.

I am offering the complete BSP source code for $250 with a signed NDA.

I also offer engineering services.

I have a CE 7 build but I have not done much testing on it yet.

It is relatively easy to port from CE 6 to CE 7 as not much has changed in the way of drivers and BSP.

David Vescovi

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Hi David, I managed to install the CE 6 dev platform and also VS 2005. How can i check it to ensure it is correclty setup before purchasing your bsp source code?

by the way did you get the camera driver for over caspa working in CE 7?

Coordinator
Jan 9, 2012 at 11:04 PM

If you are talking CE 6 you need VS2005/Platform Builder CE6. You can use one of the standard BSP’s distributed with PB (CEPC, Device Emulator, MainstoneIII)

To create and build (sysgen) and example osdesign. If it makes it all the way through without any errors you probably have everything installed ok.

Same with CE7, you can install VS2008/Platform Builder CE7 and do the same with one of the distributed BSPs.

Note: you CAN NOT install both CE6 and CE7 platform builders on the same development box! See readme notes for CE7.

There are no native drivers for the Caspa camera on either the CE6 or CE7 BSP.

I contacted the manufacture of the imager used on the Caspa and was informed there are no CE drivers available and they do not believe one has ever been developed.

You would have to develop one from scratch… which is no small task.

I have experimented with USB based camera some time back. Microsoft did distribute a USB camera driver way back when.

It can be made to work with CE 6 and maybe CE 7 (have not tried on CE7).

It worked OK for low res stuff but not great for anything >640x480 because of bus limitations.

DV

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 5:41 PM
To: dvescovi@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: Compact 7 [gumstixbsp:258228]

Hi David, I managed to install the CE 6 dev platform and also VS 2005. How can i check it to ensure it is correclty setup before purchasing your bsp source code?

by the way did you get the camera driver for over caspa working in CE 7?

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Hi David,

Does the BSP for Compact 7 include a driver for the 1-wire bus? I need to make a choice in OS and will need to use GPIO, SPI and 1-wire.

Coordinator
Jan 25, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Yes, my BSP has support for SPI,I2C GPIO and 1-wire.

I even have some managed code (C#) samples for I2C, GPIO.

DV

Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:04 AM
To: dvescovi@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: Compact 7 [gumstixbsp:258228]

Hi David,

Does the BSP for Compact 7 include a driver for the 1-wire bus? I need to make a choice in OS and will need to use GPIO, SPI and 1-wire.