Running WinCe on Gumstix Overo Fire COM

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Hello,

I have downloaded the 1.01.00.03 image, followed the instructions on creating the SD ram, but cannot get the Overo to boot. Observing the COM message output, the Overo does not seem to recognize the SD ram as bootable and continues to boot from NAND.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Mark
Coordinator
Nov 13, 2013 at 7:14 PM

You need to make sure you have formatted the SD card correctly and the boot partition is marked as “Active”.

If you use the HP formatter tool it works best as it does everything for you.

You then need to copy ONLY the MLO file to the newly formatted card.

The MLO file has to be the first entry in the FAT table.

You can then copy over the ebootsd.nb0 and the NK.bin files.

DV

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Thank you, I will give this a try. I originally formatted the SD on my Linux desktop machine, making it active but not boot. I will respond back shortly.
Nov 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Hello,

Ok, I have succeeded in making the SD card bootable, with the WinCE image provided on the site. The Overo starts the boot process, showing the "Special Computing" window with the progress bar. The progress bar goes to what looks to be 100%, then the unit hangs. After about 10-15 minutes, the unit looks like it then attempts to boot from the NAND.

Any guidance on how to proceed?

Thank you again for you help, I am very excited to possibly run WinCE on the Overo as it would really help make my future software development activities a little easier.

Mark
Coordinator
Nov 18, 2013 at 3:56 PM

More than likely you are using a COM module and carrier board that is newer or is different than from what the demo image is developed for.

I do not recall if the demo image is “SD” only or if it is a “Flash” based image.

If it is a flash based image you will have to do the extra steps to “flash” the image from the sd card into Flash memory. The instructions are on the Codeplex site.

Note: This will erase your factory Linux image!! Be sure to back it up if you want to preserve it.

With the full BSP you can generate SD based or Flash based images.

DV